How do you maintain weight and energy when restaurant and wedding shmorg temptations surround you?
Hello, hello ladies! How’s Springtime treating you? The other day it dawned on me that we’re just over a month away from June – wedding season! (Also happens to be my birthday and anniversary month.) Then comes July and August when most people take vacations. And why am I mentioning this, you ask?
We’re all familiar with this annoying scenario: it’s a special occasion – you’re going out to eat, attending a wedding or going on vacation and there’s no way you are not going to enjoy your food. I mean, the food is like half the fun or more, you know? I for one cannot say no to the wedding shmorg okay? So, the special occasion comes up, we have a day, but then we have to deal with a food hangover, energy loss and/or weight gain.
I hear this from a lot of women I work with and I feel the same way: no matter what is going on in life, we need energy! Oh, and weight maintenance wouldn’t hurt either. I mean, why pay with bloat and fatigue for having a good time? Who wants to do that?
So how do you maintain weight and energy when restaurant and wedding shmorg temptations surround you? Listen girlfriends, it ain’t easy but it’s doable and it’s worth it!
You’re going out to eat, attending a wedding or going on vacation and there’s no way you are not going to enjoy your food!
Here are a few simple tips for you to follow for the next food fest occasion you happen to find yourself in:
- Always remember that how you feel AFTER the fun is over is just as important to you as enjoying yourself. Food hangovers, bloating and low energy are not worth it.
- Be realistic – you’re probably going to eat more than the usual and enjoy a dessert that you usually stay away from. You’re enjoying a special occasion – remember?
It ain’t easy but it’s doable and it’s worth it!
- Stay away from gluten, rice, and potatoes. These three foods will drain your energy and cause a bloat like no other food. You can still enjoy steaks, chicken, and fish, dairy dishes like eggplant rollatini and crustless quiche, vegetable sides like salads, sweet potatoes, onion rings and an endless array of soups. For dessert, have gluten-free options such as chocolate mousse, ice cream, sorbet, fruit compote and flourless chocolate cake.
- Drink water and eat the salad or vegetable dish before digging into the heavier food. This will fill you up a little and will prevent high-level overeating.
- If you are on vacation – don’t eat too early or too late in the day. Try eating between 10am and 7pm only. Eat light for two meals of the day and splurge for one. Alternatively have two meals a day – brunch and dinner. Maintain movement like walking and taking the stairs.
- Once you Remember these tips and know that you can absolutely enjoy your special occasion/vacation while maintaining your weight and energy, you don’t have to waste any more mental energy on worrying about it. Enjoy yourself while sticking to the guidelines!
I love talking about this kind of stuff not because I’m obsessed with weight or looks, but because I know for sure from both experience and science that your weight, blood sugar levels and the quality of your blood (which is made out of the food you eat) have a direct and huge effect on your energy, mood and clarity of thinking. And as women, we need high energy, a good mood, and a clear head to take care of our family, run the home and accomplish our other missions in the world.
So, enjoy the special occasions while not falling off the wagon – it’s super important and possible!